Saturday, October 17, 2015

Fall is in the air and on the ground!

Hello, Friends.

Fall is here! The leaves are beautiful and raining down. We turned on our heat today. That meant that I had to check my filters and close my furnace damper. Do you know what that means? Be sure to ask me when you see me!

International Bible Study: Tuesdays, 9:00-10:30
We had great discussion over two Bible verses: Luke 3:21 and 22. Jesus is baptized by John the Baptist. This is an important event in Jesus' life and the account is told in all of the Gospels (biographies of Jesus in the Bible). You can read them for yourself:

  • Matthew 3:13-17
  • Mark 1:9-12
  • Luke 3:21-22
  • John 1:29-34
In all accounts:

  1. Jesus was baptized: He hadn't sinned, but he followed the practice to "fulfill all righteousness"
  2. Jesus was baptized by John (you can not baptize yourself, someone else performs that service for you).
  3. All three persons of God were present in one place, separately. God the Father clearly identifies Jesus as His Son. The Holy Spirit (usually a spirit isn't seen) appears.
  4. We got off on a discussion of how, why, when, etc. people are baptized in the different Christian churches. We realized that the Bible never specifies any of these details (and where practice details are important, the Bible is very explicit. For example, see Numbers 17. We decided that the important point was to be baptized with water and "in the Name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit" and the rest is negotiable.

October 20
Let's read Luke 4:1-14: Jesus is tempted by the devil.

International Friends: Tuesdays, 10:30-12:00
We had "swearing class" this past Tuesday. Wow! We discovered so many things that are inappropriate in some countries that mean something else in another country and mean absolutely nothing in other countries. This is always a strange meeting to lead, because it is hard to actually say some words because of our training. These words are always important to know because you want to avoid them in your own conversation (probably....) and you want to stop them in your children's vocabulary.

October 20: Let's talk about raising our children in another country.
How do you hang on to your traditions? How do you add new traditions? What do you take home with you?

October 27: Let's carve Halloween Jack-o'-Lanterns.

Conversation: Wednesdays, 4:30-6:00
I was sorry to miss this past week of English classes. I really missed you and was experiencing my own road trip!

October 21: Read Chapter 4. I'll bet my favorite topic will be discussed!

English: Thursdays, 9:30-12:00
I was sorry to miss Thursday classes. Thank you students and teachers who touched base with me to keep me up to date. You know I like to know everything that is going on with all of my classes. You are all special to me!

October 22: We are still meeting for English classes. I know many of you are gone for your Fall Break. I hope you have a great time and look forward to sharing stories when you come back.

See you soon!
Carolyn
____________________________________________
the account: the story; not the bank account which is your money
got off on: followed a course of discussion
practice: how something is done
explicit: stated clearly without room for confusion or doubt
fulfill: complete a task
all righteousness: the quality of being morally right and justifiable
His Son: I am going "old school" here and capitalizing his because I am referring to God (in honor) and son because it is Jesus' name and title.
negotiable: open to discussion
inappropriate: just don't do it!
touched base: contact someone to share information (not running for a home run)
going on: happening (not moving forward ahead of the rest of the group)

No comments:

Post a Comment